New York City is now the epicenter of the outbreak. March 25, 2020, 8:42 PM4 min read New York officials have confirmed the first homeless death from the novel coronavirus, a grim statistic that homeless advocates fear could rise in coming weeks. “Tragically, one New Yorker experiencing homelessness succumbed to this virus after several days in the hospital – our hearts go out to this individual’s friends and family,” said Isaac McGinn, spokesperson for the city’s Department of Social Services. “What we’re seeing continues to track the trends across our city, state, and country – with more testing taking place, we’re effectively identifying more positives, which gives us the ability to immediately connect each individual to the care they need, whether in hospital or in isolation,” McGinn said. According to the statement from DHS, the homeless resident was a single adult male in his 60s and was hospitalized last week. The man’s identity was not revealed. DHS also confirmed a total of 39 positive cases of COVID-19 among homeless New Yorkers as of March 24. According to the New York Department of Homeless Services, there were 17 coronavirus patients identified from 12 different shelters across the city as of Sunday


Continue To Full Article