The COVID-19 pandemic is testing the U.S. military readiness to fight, forcing it to cope with a new and potent enemy. The Army was forced to suspend taking in new recruits until it overhauled basic training, major exercises were cancelled and a front-line aircraft carrier was sidelined. The Pentagon had plans for combating a pandemic, but General Terrence O’Shaughnessy, the commander of the military response to coronavirus, told 60 Minutes, “This plan did not survive contact with the enemy.”  David Martin brought 60 Minutes cameras to witness the military’s war on coronavirus for a story to be broadcast Sunday, April 26 at 7 p.m. ET/PT on CBS. Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General John Hyten is the military’s number-two in command. He confers with the Pentagon’s Crisis Management Team daily. “We have to figure out how to operate and fight through a world where coronavirus exists,” he told Martin. “If we just wait for what, you know, everybody hopes is going to happen, which is the disease goes away, and it doesn’t, and we haven’t planned for the other case, we’re in a bad situation.” Martin went to basic army training at Fort Jackson in South Carolina, where last month,


Continue To Full Article