Updated guidance from the Bureau of Prisons this week has left inmates and their families confused about the standards they must meet in order to qualify for release to home confinement, amid fears about the spread of COVID-19 among the prison population. Leslie Lewis, sentenced to 24 months for a white-collar offense. is a first-time offender currently serving her time at Alderson FPC, a Women’s Camp in West Virginia. She learned that she had been selected for release to home confinement and filled out her paperwork on April 15 and called her husband of 21 years, John, to share the good news. But by Monday their dream had been taken away from them.”On Monday first thing in the morning, Leslie calls me, bawling. I know my wife enough to know she was shaking,” John told CBS News in an interview. “She said they told her that she had been denied because of the 50% rule now, and they didn’t give an explanation.”  The original instruction came on March 26, when Attorney General William Barr directed the Bureau of Prisons to prioritize the use of home confinement for at-risk inmates as a means of curbing the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. “Many


Continue To Full Article